Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buds On The Rise


Alright boys, I'm well aware that I'm usually just a satirical prick with nothing positive to say about anybody. With that in mind, just hear me out for a minute. The Leafers beat Ryan Miller and the Sabres for the first time in what seems like forever last night after grinding out a 4-3 two nights ago in Boston. The Toronto Maple Leafs are only six points out of the playoffs. With 24 games remaining on the schedule and teams like the Rangers, Hurricanes, Thrashers, and Sabres ahead of us I'm actually filled with a weird sense of optimism about, dare I say it, making the playoffs?

With the help of James Reimer and the emergence of some of our younger guys, we've actually ascended past being considered a complete joke. Grabo just delivering heroic performances after looking to be concussed, Philly Cheesesteak Kessel finally scoring against Boston, and D-men like Luke Schenn and Keith "The Aulstar" Aulie playing physically and responsibly. Absolutely loving what I'm seeing from these guys right now.

Admittedly, it might be slightly too soon to be talking playoffs, but with every win for the Buds, the first round pick Boston absolutely stole from us gets a little bit worse.


- posted by silverado

7 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with you Silverado! Leafs are looking good, gotta keep playering Reimer, send Gigeure packing and tell clarke to start producing again. Do you think the Bruins are getting Kaberle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I hope that we are able to trade Kabs to the Bruins, yeah. It really seems like Burkey isn't interested in resigning him (although I'm not sure why), and I don't want to just see him walk for nothing in the summer. I'm a huge Kaberle fan, have been since the early 2000's when he was paired up with McCabe.

    That said, he seems ready to move on. We could potentially be looking at Boston's first round pick (so a mid-20s pick) and possibly a prospect for Kaberle so long as he agrees to sign an extension in Boston. Any picks we can get are gravy, so long as we're not taking on guys like Ryder (overpaid) or Wheeler (over-rated), I'd be happy to see us trade Kabs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with taking on Ryder? He has one year on his contract left. We can't just trade Kaberle for a pick+prospect because Boston has no cap space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, completely agreed. I was under the impression Ryder had 2011-2012 on his contract too, but if I'm wrong about that I'd have no problem with that. Anything coming off would be great, I'd just like to see Boston's first/a prospect like Colborne come back our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryder almost has as many points as Kessel, I'd rather not trade him right now. Colborne is off limits too. Doing too well in college. A first + Colborne is a joke unless he agrees to an extension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol Mike, you'd really keep Ryder over acquiring Kaberle? Kabs is outscoring Ryder as a d-man, and you guys need a PP guy so badly. I felt bad watching Recchi work alongside Chara, and that's no disrespect to him but he's like fuckin' 79.

    I'm working under the assumption that he will extend with you guys, since he has said he will and apparently you're the only team he wants to open up his NTC to. For a 32 year old top 5-10 offensive d-man in the league I don't think a late first round pick + salary match is too much to ask when guys likse Fisher are drawing firsts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mike, how does it feel to lose your hartford whalers team?

    ReplyDelete